9/23/15

Count Duckula, The Vegetarian Vampire Duck

My fascinations with all things creepy started when I was around 8 or 9 year old, I grew up as a 90's kid. I collected many Goosebumps novellas, played Ghouls 'n Ghosts on Sega and my favorite cartoons were Extreme Ghostbusters, Toxic Crusaders and also Count Duckula! Yes, Count Duckula, that weird British cartoon series about a vegetarian vampire duck. Count Duckula is a vegetarian by accident, because his last reincarnation did not run according to plan. His Nanny (that clumsy anthropomorphic hen maid) accidentally substitutes blood with tomato ketchup during his last reincarnation ritual, well to cut a long story short, Count Duckula is reborn as a vegetables-loving vampire duck, duch!

Count Duckula's main characters, from left to right:
Dr. Von Goosewing, Count Duckula, Nanny and Igor

Count Duckula DVD cover

The characters are goofy, also the setting of the castle and the colors are gloomy. That's why as a kid fascinated with spooky things, this cartoon always have a special place in my heart. The logo looks like a crappy horror punk band's logo, and the theme songs (both the opening and the ending) have those spooky yet funky classic Motown vibes. The opening sequence starts with a narrator speaking (with hammond organ playing in the back), which reminds me of Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast intro.  I really love the ending sequence, with mainly orange and green colors and collage-styled black-and-white photos, which add more B-movie feels to it. Well I guess everyday is Halloween at Count Duckula's spooky castle!



I'm not going to spoil you with the whole stories, not that I remember all of them anyway. You can stream the whole episodes on Count Duckula's Youtube Channel, I'll leave you with some screenshots from episode 2. Now unsharpen your fangs and let's bite some vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment