10/3/15

Kubrick Universal Monsters

I've never been a fan of block-style figures, maybe because as a kid I wasn't into collecting Lego figures. But one day when I was browsing the internet, I stumbled across this Japanese toy line called Kubrick (yes, the name is a homage to Stanley Kubrick). This line produces collectible block-style figures, most of them are characters from movie, comic, anime and video game. The figures are produced in limited numbers and not re-released, and that's what make it cool. But I wasn't impressed with most of them, until I saw the Universal Monsters figures. The series are based on horror movies made by Universal Studios, such as Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931), The Mummy (1932) and The Wolf Man (1941), just to name a few.
 
 Mad Monster Party!

But alas, the Universal Monsters series was already sold out years ago (the series was released in 2002). This sudden urge to possess all of them led me to the source of evil named eBay, o' Lord please have a mercy on me! I think I got two or three figures with a reasonable price at first, but that wasn't enough. After around three-month quest, finally I got 10 figures. I was amazed, because for a block-style figure, the details are amazing! I'm missing 2 figures actually, Dr. Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein (they are not monster-like, anyway). But I couldn't care less, the monsters are all here and it's a Mad Monster Party!

Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame), The Mole People, Metaluna Mutant
(This Island Earth), The Creature (Creature from the Black Lagoon), Phantom of the Opera

Invisible Man, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, The Wolf Man


And oh, speaking about Mad Monster Party, you know that 1967 stop-motion animated film? No? Then you have to watch it! We'll review the movie later, but as for right now, just enjoy the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment